Friday, August 10, 2018

Spells - Reeves

Spells


By James (John Morris) Reeves (1909-1978)

I dance and dance without any feet
This is the spell of the ripening wheat.

With never a tongue I've a tale to tell
This is the meadow grasses' spell.


I give you health without any fee
This is the spell of the apple tree.

I rhyme and riddle without any book
This is the spell of the bubbling brook.

Without any legs I run for ever
This is the spell of the mighty river.

I fall for ever and not at all
This is the spell of the waterfall.

Without a voice I roar aloud
This is the spell of the thunder cloud.

No button or seam has my white coat
This is the spell of the leaping goat.

I can cheat strangers with never a word
This is the spell of the cuckoo bird.

We have tongues in plenty but speak no names
This is the spell of the fiery flames.

The creaking door has a spell to riddle
I play a tune without any fiddle.

© James Reeves

No comments:

Post a Comment