Witches Kitchen (wickedly delectable)
red food coloring
green food coloring
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
5 TBSP sugar
Pinch of salt
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place food coloring in a shallow bowl. Using a small paintbrush, color one rounded half of each almond. Set aside to dry.
3. Separate 1 egg. Set aside white. Whisk together yolk, remaining egg, and vanilla. Set aside.
4. Combine butter, powdered sugar, sugar, and salt. Add egg mixture, green food coloring, and beat until smooth. Add flour. Divide dough in half. Chill until firm (about half an hour).
5. Divide first half into 12-15 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece back and forth into finger shapes 3-4 inches long. Pinch to form knuckles. Score knuckles with dull side of small knife. Place on baking sheets (parchment lined makes clean up quick) Repeat with remaining dough.
6. Brush fingers with egg white. Push almond nails into dough.
7. Bake at 350 until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Cool completely.
*How to blanch almonds - bring water in small saucepan to a boil, add almonds and boil for one minute, drain almonds in colander, rinse with cold water, place on paper towel, blot, squeeze gently to remove puckered skin. Let dry.
I displayed in a witch cauldron filled with dry black beans.